User Profile
Robin & Jim


You have 516788 hits.

Posted By Robin & Jim

From Tacoma we cruised a short distance to the little fishing town of Gig Harbor to visit new friends Cathryn and Bob.  They treated us to a nice home-cooked dinner in their gorgeous home, right on Colvos Passage.  We had a great time and a lot of laughs, especially when we discovered that we knew some of the same boaters on the east coast!  It is a VERY small world on the water.  We had a grand time with our new friends, and we loved walking around the town of Gig Harbor - great shops, restaurants, scenery, and a nice little museum.

gig harbor

With another dentist appointment and a date to meet a fuel truck looming, it was time to head back to the north end of Puget Sound.  As we cruised out of Gig Harbor and up Colvos Passage, Bob and Cathryn came out on their deck to wave to us (nice jammies).

bob and cathryn

We cruised north to Port Townsend, getting a slip at the "downtown" end of town to play tourist.  These small towns have some really lovely shops, and most of them seem to have very creative and beautiful window displays.  The whole region is very artsy, and it manifests itself in many different ways.
We saw a number of river otters playing in the marina (and leaving a lot of fishy, smelly messes on the docks), but they were never around when I had a camera handy!  We were careful to keep our side gate closed to make sure they didn't come aboard for a visit.  We did see a lot of hooded mergansers - the "hood" on the male is most impressive when he's surprised or alert.

hooded mergansers

We were supposed to cruise across to Bellingham on Tuesday to get Jim to the dentist on Wednesday.  The weather forecast looked fine for the crossing, but we woke up on Tuesday morning at 5am to howling winds - time for Plan B!  Without any discussion, I pulled up the ferry schedule and Jim called the local car rental place.  That's life as a cruiser - you have to stay flexible.  It's an all-day event with the ferry crossing and a long drive each way, but we made it a fun day. 
One of the rewards for getting "stuck" in Port Townsend a bit longer was watching a nuclear submarine heading out to sea.  We were in the pilothouse and just happened to look up and see her - wow!


submarine close up

We had fun poking around town until the weather improved enough for us to get over to Bellingham.  We met a fuel truck on the commercial dock and filled our tanks at a decent price - we hope that's enough fuel to last us until we get to Ketchikan, Alaska in the spring since fuel is very expensive in Canada.  We took advantage of some rainy days to do a few chores, and now we're heading into the San Juan Islands for the next 10 days.

0 Comment(s):
No Comments are found for this entry.
Add a new comment using the form below.

Leave a Comment:
Name: * Email: *
Home Page URL:
Comment: *
   char left.

Enter the text shown in the image on the left: *
 Remember Me?
* fields are requried